Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Volunteer and charity

It always makes you feel nice, to reach out a helping hand. Volunteering and charity.

Last Sunday I had my first volunteer work in my church's St Jude's cupboard, where religious items are sold once a month. At first it felt awkward. Somehow you know how friendly Canadians are. I tried to imagine how I used to enter a shop and embraced by the smile of the storekeeper.

Okay, so I smiled almost all the time, and greeting almost everyone that passed by even though not everyone replied. Well, the smiles and greetings you got back just warmed your heart.

I helped twice, once after the 9.30 mass and another after the 10.30 one. In the end, I was pretty happy with myself. Then I went to Walmart for some things and just outside the store, there was a booth selling and raising funds for breast cancer.

I approached it and bought a keychain and a tac pin and donated the change to the society. The lady at the booth gave me a hug, as a token of appreciation I guess. It took me by surprise but somehow that felt nice.

And I thought to myself, it's two in a row for today =)

Well, that's good for a start. It's both self-satisfaction and lending a helping hand at the same time

2 comments:

MICHAEL LIOW said...

haha... ya.. volunteering is great.. =D

Hexen Ong said...

*clicks like for this post* =)